How to make a complaint

ELCAP aims to provide high quality services, but we recognise that we can get things wrong.

There may be times when we could have provided a better service or done things differently.  If this happens, it is important that you feel able to tell us.

Suggestions and complaints help us understand what’s not working well and enable us to make improvements.

You can make a complaint by:

  • Telling your Support Practitioner
  • Talking to the manager of the service
  • Calling us on 01875 814 114
  • Emailing
  • Sending a letter to:
    ELCAP, Woodbine Cottage, West Loan, Prestonpans, East Lothian EH32 9WU

You can ask other people to help you with your complaint or make the complaint on your behalf.

People who may help you include:

  • A family member
  • A friend
  • An independent advocate
  • Another professional who supports you
  • Anyone else who know you well

When you are making a complaint, it is helpful if you can:

  • Tell us what you are unhappy about
  • Let us know what you would like us to do differently

How we investigate complaints

We will acknowledge all complaints within seven days.

We will not discuss your complaint with anyone who does not need to be involved.

Wherever possible, we will respond to your complaint within 21 days.  If it will take longer than this to investigate your complaint, we will let you know.

In order to investigate your complaint, a manager may need to meet you.  You are welcome to have a family member, friend or advocate with you.

What we do if your complaint is upheld

If you complaint is upheld, fully or in part, you will receive an apology from us.  We will let you know what we have learned from your complaint and what we will do to put things right.


If you are unhappy about the outcome of your complaint, or if you think we did not investigate it properly, you can appeal.

Your appeal must be received within 14 days of the decision on your complaint.

Another manager will consider your appeal and determine if it was dealt with fairly and reasonably

Records of complaints

ELCAP keeps records of all complaints received.

These records are available to the Care Inspectorate, East Lothian Health and Social Care Partnership, ELCAP’s Executive’s Board and Midlothian Council.

Complaining to the Council or the Care Inspectorate

If you feel unable to complain to ELCAP, you can complain to the Council or the Care Inspectorate.

If you live in East Lothian and wish to complain to the Council, you should contact:


Customer Feedback Team
East Lothian Council
John Muir House
Brewery Park
East Lothian
EH41 3HA

Tel:  0131 653 5290

Online feedback form


If you live in Midlothian and wish to complain to the Council, you should contact:

Midlothian Council Feedback
Freepost SC05613
EH22 0BR

Tel:  0131 561 5444



If you wish to complain to the Care Inspectorate, you should contact:

Care Inspectorate
Victoria Quay

Tel:  0345 600 9527